Since 2010, the BWF has been working with the Brazil national badminton federation (CBBd) on a range of development projects including Coach Education and Shuttle Time Schools Badminton. With the Olympic Games coming to the region, Shuttle Time has been used to enhance the participation of badminton particularly in the Rio region.
In 2013 BWF initiated a Rio 2016 Legacy Project which has four key pillars:
- Development – To use Shuttle Time as the key tool to increase participation of youth in the
- Rio 2016 Legacy Programme – To make links with the Rio Olympic Games legacy goals.
- Tournaments – To use tournaments to develop local skills and knowledge and to promote the
- Experiences – To plan and deliver activities that engage the public and create awareness and a media buzz.
The aim is to ensure a legacy through a) greater participation in the sport, b) a larger and more skilled badminton workforce and c) a general awareness of badminton as an Olympic sport through media exposure.
Creative use of Shuttle Time
Shuttle Time has been the main tool to engage people in badminton – whether through structured courses, short “taster” sessions or public activations. It has been used to:
- Systematically implement courses for physical education teachers in Rio schools – private and public.
- Engage the community through public activations such as “Badminton in the Streets” project.
- Promote the sport as an option in sports centres attached to favelas.
- Support the Rio Legacy Programme through Shuttle Time at Rio 2016 Festivals and Olympic Villa activities.
Outcomes to Date
- 18 Shuttle Time courses completed in Rio for physical education teachers
- 400+ teachers trained
- 13 “Badminton in the Streets” activations that used Shuttle Time activities for people to try out badminton for the first time
- 5000+ people trying out badminton for the first time using modified Shuttle Time activities in public engagement programmes
- 14,000+ likes for the Rio Project Facebook page
“BWF has been working, in close partnership with the Brazilian Badminton Federation, to leave a great legacy of badminton through the Olympic Games. Shuttle Time has been used as a tool to raise awareness, interest and strengthen the development of badminton throughout Brazil, mainly in Rio de Janeiro, offering opportunities for children and adults to practice badminton on beaches, in parks, schools and sports facilities. I’m sure that badminton will continue developing even further in Brazil after the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.”
Carlos Nuzman, President of Brazilian Olympic Committee
Throwback on the BWF-UN Badminton For All Project
In 2017/2018, BWF-UN Badminton For All Project had undertaken the work to support the nine African countries such as Benin, Ethiopia, Togo, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe to develop badminton activities in the countries through the Shuttle Time Programme. More than 45 tu
Shuttle Time Triple Ripple in Fiji
Badminton being a little sport in Fiji and competing against rugby, netball and volleyball, the sport has minimal to zero awareness around the 300 plus islands around the country. In this project, Fiji Badminton aimed to use BWF Shuttle Time Schools Programme as a tool to establish a better working
Shuttle Time Badminton Training in Houston, Texas
In partnership with Special Olympics Texas and Special Olympics International, the BWF have hosted a three day Shuttle Time Course earlier November in Houston. Twenty-four coaches from Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi and Arizona attended the Shuttle Time Teachers course and sixteen trainers took par
Inter-School Badminton Championship (CIBAD-2018)
The Inter-School Badminton Championship of Haiti (CIBAD) gathered all the schools affiliated to the Federation Haitienne de Badminton (FEHBAD) since 2012. CIBAD is one of the most important juvenile competitions set up by the FEHBAD which gather more than 200 young players coming from different scho
SHUTTLE TIME SPAIN aka BADMINTON+ CONTINUES GROWING
Badminton+ also known as B+ is a badminton strategy in Spain to promote and grow badminton all around Spain using the BWF Shuttle Time Schools programme. The main objective of B+ is to promote healthy habits and lifestyles among the school population through a quality program by integrating badminto
BWF Shuttle Time & Women in Badminton Summit
Last July, the Shuttle Time Teacher Course was part of the agenda in the 2nd Women in Badminton Summit 2018 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. There were a total of thirteen (13) energetic and visionary women from twelve different member associations who excellently took part in the two-day cou